Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Mom's Word for the New Year

I have been challenged by one of my MOPS mentor moms to choose a verse and a word for the year. You know, just a verse and a word to focus on, to set the tone throughout the year. I know lots of people do this, but I have never really gotten serious about it. This idea has been like a typical New Year's resolution for me in the past. I remember it for a week or two, but it fails to stick. 

This year, I'm going to get serious about it. Blogging it will help keep me accountable, right? 

The verses I feel led to choose are verses that I have been marinating in for the past few months, actually. Through the wonderful experience of Bible Study Fellowship, (have I said that before?) I was introduced to these verses in a new way. Really, I don't think I had ever noticed them before. But a friend and fellow mom from my discussion group shared them with us, and I knew they were for me.

Without further ado, here are my verses for the year!
"Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly--not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by you own good example. And when the Great Shepherd appears, you will receive a crown of never-ending glory and honor" (1 Peter 5: 2-4).
Now, if that isn't a word of encouragement and conviction all rolled into one, I don't know what is! It speaks to me so perfectly in my current stage of life. 

I have been given a flock. It includes my husband and three children. I am blessed, and I know it! I am to take care of them WILLINGLY! I shouldn't expect anything in return. I should just do it because those people are who God gave to me, so taking care of them is serving Him. Even if you don't have a husband or kids, you have a flock too! Who are you in charge of on this earth?

I am giggling right now at the part that says, "Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care." Have you ever said, "Because I'm the mom!" or "Because I said so!"? I know there is a time and a place, but that verse is a good check for me! 

Conviction: "lead by your own good example." I'm still working on that part...

Encouragement: When Jesus returns, I will "receive a crown of never-ending glory and honor." Awesome!

So, as my MOPS mentor mom suggested, I'm going to write this down and post it in several locations in my house. I'm not going to let these thoughts slip away this year.

Out of those words, and from some thoughts on life in general, I have decided on a word for the year as well. I'm copying one of my friend's words, actually. I'm not sure all of her meaning behind it, but it totally fits for me too. It's just a good one for moms!

Content.

I struggle to be content on many levels. I look at my life now and instead of enjoying it one day at a time, I think, "I wonder what is next? What will I do when my kids are all in school?" I also try to take on too much because I like doing things, and I've done them in the past. But let's face it, right now I have to be okay with making my family the priority and cutting out things that don't work for us. 

I'm also a list maker. And whether it's on paper or in my head, I like to cross one thing off and move to the next. While it's a good way to get things done, it's not always a good way to live. We no sooner finish one house project, and I'm ready to begin the next, for example. A lot of times, I do not allow myself time to enjoy things as they are and rest. 

Confession time: I like to shop. This year, it is my goal to really evaluate my purchases before I purchase them. I want to buy less stuff. I'm already overwhelmed with stuff!

So I'm going to be like Paul. My prayer for this year is to learn, like he did, how to "be content with whatever I have" (Philippians 4:11). He had a secret. He knew to draw from Christ's power for strength at all times and in all situations. In Philippians 4:13 he said, "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Moms, wives, whoever, I would also encourage you to find a scripture and/or a word to cling to for this year. Let God direct you to it. Then let Him use it in your life this year. I'm really excited to do this! I can't wait to see how God will use it in my life this year! 

Feel free to share with me your verse and your word. Let's encourage each other!



No comments:

Post a Comment