Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

The Sustainer vs. Stress

This is a rough time of year for me. Harvest.

As a farmer's wife, I'm learning to think more favorably about the harvest. It is the fruition of all my husband's hard work throughout the year. He eagerly looks forward to it every year. Me, I dread it every year. Like I said, I'm learning to like it.

But every year it is just a time of STRESS for me. I don't need to get into all the details. I know many jobs have busy seasons and many husbands travel often for work. Let's face it, women/moms deal with STRESS a lot. (I'm capitalizing it because it is yelling at me.)

I was thinking about how I could gracefully handle the STRESS this year because, I'll just be honest, I don't always do that well. I was thinking about how God could help me. I was thinking that God gives us grace. God gives us salvation and righteousness. God gives us mercy. I am thankful for all of theses things.

But in the STRESS, my mind doesn't focus on those things. So, I searched for an attribute of God that I could claim during my time of STRESS.

I need God to be my Sustainer. I need Him to sustain me through this harvest season.
Sustain: verb. "To support, hold, or bear up from below; bear the weight of. To keep (a person, the mind, the spirits, etc.) from giving way, as under trial or affliction"  (dictionary.com).
See, I drastically need to be sustained by God during this time. If you're like me, going through a time of STRESS or trial, you need a verse or two to cling to. Here's what the Bible says about God and His ability to sustain us.
Psalm 54:4 - "Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me."
Psalm 55:22 - "Cast your cares of the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken."
Isaiah 46:4 - "Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain and I will rescue you."
So not only is God full of love, grace, mercy, and righteousness, He is able to sustain me when I feel the most STRESSED. He will carry me. He will help me. He will sustain me. I'm going to rely on Him one day at a time. I'll make it. (Check back with me in November!)

He's my rock, my anchor and my sustainer.

Here's a great song that expresses these attributes of our great God. I always love a good song! "My Anchor" by Christy Nockels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NG_D19wru0


No comments:

Post a Comment