Pages

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Rock Phenomenon

There is this phenomenon in Minnesota. I was never aware of it before I married a farmer and moved here. I lived my whole life in ignorance up till the day I learned it and my eyes were opened.

Rocks. Lots of rocks. You see, in Minnesota, you have to pick rocks. Every spring, after the ground thaws, rocks rise to the surface of the field. Farmers can't just leave them or their equipment would be wrecked. So, much of May and June is spent picking the rocks out of the field and hauling them away. These aren't just pebbles either. No, the little rocks are left in the field. These are rocks ranging from the size of a football to the size of a piano. Seriously. And each year, you have to go over the same exact fields picking up new rocks. They just keep coming.

It really is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen come from nature. Yep, rocks sure are a persistent, never-ending issue in the life of a Minnesotan farmer.

Besides being annoying, these rocks have made me think about God and the way He designs and works in this world. Yes, besides rocks, God reveals something persistent and never-ending about Himself too.

God's love revealed in Jesus.

We read about this in Romans 8.
"And I am convinced that nothing can separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow--not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 8:38-39, emphasis added).
The words I italicized really jumped out at me today. Sometimes, I just let so many rocks get in the way. I am really good at worrying and over-analyzing. The unknown often gives me anxiety. I allow these things to block out the love of God.

It's really silly. These rocks make life harder for me. The love that God has for me is always there. Sometimes, the rocks in our own heart need to be picked. I need to get rid of my worry and anxiety so I can enjoy the benefits of God's love. God's love gives me freedom from worry. God's love is perfect and good. I can rest in that truth and know that everything will be ok.


It's a process that needs to be repeated. Like a Minnesotan corn field, the rocks just keep appearing. If we are not careful, if we do not allow God to keep pruning and picking up the rocks in our hearts, they will keep accumulating. They will block out the love that is flowing from God.

We have to be diligent, like these farmers up here. They know that in order to have the best production, they must get rid of those rocks. It is much the same for our hearts.

God is good. Allow Him to show you the rocks that have surfaced so you can both receive His love and give it out to others. I pray He will do the same for me.

Linking up with the following encouraging blogs: #IntentionalTuesday, #RaRaLinkup, #threewordWednesday, #TellHisStory, #coffeeforyourheart


16 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! I lived in Iowa for about a year and a half and know all about those big rocks. We lived on a farm, so the farmer that owned the land had made HUGE water fountains out of them. And the rest he designed so they looked a part of the landscape in his yard. They were beautiful. But I can imagine as a farmer trying to plow land they can get in the way and be a huge pain. Great analogy of faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rocks are really pretty, many different colors! But you're right...very annoying! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kristen! What an amazing story! But how annoying at the same time:) I love love love this passage of scripture. God's persistence - beautiful. You painted a perfect picture of this. Now every time I see a big rock, I'm going to think of God's love! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! I'll remember God's love when I see a rock. God's love is abundant, just like the rocks up here! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Love the farming analogy - so true! And, when we feel overwhelmed? "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I am." Our brother David said that in Psalms! I'm your neighbor at TWW. I'm number 7 returning the visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Love that verse! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kristen,
    I'm visiting from Holley's link-up! This post is so thoughtful about God needing to pick up the rocks in our life we've acquired along the way that hinder us in our relationship with him and how we relate to others. Such good truth!
    Valerie
    http://www.gracewithsilk.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Kristen! Thanks for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday. As I was reading about the rocks (which, as a lifelong Kentuckian, I know nothing about!) I was thinking about how we're called to prune our lives. Of course, I'm not much of a gardener, but I've felt the effects of God doing it in my heart. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is the master gardener...and farmer! Thanks, Kristin!

      Delete
  6. Lord, reveal the rocks in my heart, remove them so you can fill me with your goodness. Thank you for inspiring my heart to grab more of him. Cheering you on from the #RaRalinkup on Purposeful Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read your rock phenomenon story, Kristen, I was reminded how unforgiveness is something that creeps up like those annoying rocks. Every time an old hurt arises in my heart, I have to take it to God who is faithful to help me forgive every time. But no matter how many times I forgive, those old rocks pop up again. Thank you, Kristen, for sharing your heart and an interesting fact at #IntentionalTuesday on Intentionally Pursuing. I had truly never heard of this rock phenomenon ... crazy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it totally relates to unforgiveness too! Good point! Thanks for visiting, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the rocks could be a blessing in disguise too. You could sell the rocks to nursery businesses. In our area, we buy rocks to put in our gardens and to line our flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so relate, Kristen! I've picked up many a rock from the fields, especially during my teen years back home. We picked rocks from neighboring farmers' fields for money. And then we "walked beans." Do you remember walking beans? :)

    ReplyDelete